Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pastors Aren't Superheroes

I know this article (below) was totally in jest but it got me to thinking about how western Christianity has pushed some pastors into a spotlight that was never meant to shine on them but rather on the one that sent them!


It reminds me of the scene in John 6:15 where the crowd wants to "force" Jesus to be king. Jesus doesn't let them. How he handles the situation is telling.  He withdraws away from the crowds and gets alone and presses into his Father's presence.  


Whenever we feel ourselves being pushed onto a throne that is not ours to occupy, we must go bow before the true King and come back to the people even more passionate about boasting of His kingdom and more mindful that it never has been about building our kingdom!  


This week I worked a horrible suicide in my town and ministered to a crushed and confused family late into the night. Yesterday the fire chief praised and thanked me for my efforts.  My reply was, "it's what we do."


I'm not the king of the kingdom.
I'm not the head of the church.
And I'm definitely not a superhero.


#325. The superhero guide to famous pastors. � Stuff Christians Like – Jon Acuff

No comments: