Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Trust and Obey ... There Is No Other Way

The past few days (years, decades...) I've been feeling so much pressure with regards to all God is leading me to and through and yet I keep telling myself to "Trust and Obey" Literally this morning on the drive into work I felt like a character out of those old cartoons that had the little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other. There is such an internal (eternal) battle raging within me. The war between trust and doubt. I was speaking a prayer of trust outloud to God and yet my heart still felt pulled from peace to problems. I surrendered my attitude to the Lordship of Jesus and yet a nagging, painful headache claimed it back. The fight for childlike trust and pure joy is an everyday conflict.

I ran across this a few minutes ago and found it very insightful and encouraging. Maybe you need the reminder that I needed (and will need again and again and ...)


JOSEPH'S PRAYER
by Max Lucado
Nothing stirs so many questions as does the birth of Christ. The
innkeeper too busy to welcome God-did he ever learn who he turned away?
The shepherds-did they ever hum the song the angels sang? The wise men
who followed the star-what was it like to worship a toddler? And
Joseph, especially Joseph. I've got questions for Joseph.
What was he thinking while Jesus was being born? He'd done all he
could do-he'd made Mary as comfortable as she could be in a barn and
then he stepped out. She'd asked to be alone, and Joseph has never felt
more so.
In that eternity between his wife's dismissal and Jesus' arrival, what
was he thinking? He walked into the night and looked into the stars.
Did he pray?
I wonder what he said …
This isn't the way I planned it, God. This doesn't seem right. What
kind of husband am I? I provide no midwife to aid my wife. No bed to
rest her back. Her pillow is a blanket from my donkey. My house for her
is a shed of hay and straw.
Did I miss something? Did I, God?
You've stood where Joseph stood. Caught between what God says and what
makes sense. You've done what he told you to do only to wonder if it
was him speaking in the first place. You've stared into a sky blackened
with doubt.
If you are asking what Joseph asked, let me urge you to do what Joseph
did. Obey. That's what he did. He obeyed when the angel called. He
obeyed when Mary explained. He obeyed when God sent.
Just like Joseph, you can't see the whole picture. Just like Joseph
your task is to see that Jesus is brought into your part of your world.
And just like Joseph you have a choice: to obey or disobey. Because
Joseph obeyed, God used him to change the world.
Can he do the same with you?

2 comments:

SG said...

This post hit me right between the eyes! (or should I say "I"s) Thank you!

Donna G said...

This was a great post, but really I am tired of looking at it. POST MAN POST