Saturday, February 07, 2004

Finally, a Fault!

I love Kim’s family. They say that “inlaws are worse than outlaws” – that “happiness is seeing your mother-in-law’s face on a milk carton” – and other non-flattering comments. But I truly have had a positive experience with her family. I’ve had over half of her family live with us at one time or another and I don’t remember it ever being a problem. Really, I’m serious. All family gatherings have been relatively peaceful and without event. Overall, it has been a real positive experience. But tonight I found a chink in the armor.
Kim’s sister (Melissa) and her two daughters came into town to spend the night with us tonight. No problem. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and some good conversation. No problem. And then after dinner they began to play charades. BIG PROBLEM! Charades? Isn’t that what people played before board games, TV, Blockbuster, and electricity in general? But that is not the worst of it.
I’m in the other room enjoy sitting mindlessly in front of the tube when they invite me to play. BIGGER PROBLEM. Now I have no real issue with someone playing charades but don’t invite me to watch let alone play. But they did. I, being the perfect husband, father, brother-in-law, and uncle played this horrible game and I tell you, it was like torture. Seriously, it was excruciatingly painful. Luckily, I had a emergency contingency plan stored away in the hard drive of my head so I was allowed to get out after I picked two charades that were impossible to guess. But those 3.5 minutes were among the worst of my life.
Kim’s family is still cool but thanks to my recent discovery that they actually enjoy charades they are no longer without fault.
I can’t believe they couldn’t guess “Weekend at Bernie’s” – that was one great movie!

No comments: